Friday, June 26, 2009

Lil bit of everything day. . .including surreal

Today was hmmm. . . I'm not even sure how to describe it.

When I finally greeted the day sometime after 11 by rubbing the sleep outta my eyes and turning on the TV, I was saddened to hear about Farrah's passing. I wasn't a huge fan or anything, but her battle with cancer had been brutal.

Since the wifey was going straight from work to a hair appointment, I decided to go have lunch with her. It was sweet to sit outside on the Costco pillars eating our food court lunch together--I definitely haven't had enough time with her lately; we're pretty excited about both our upcoming anniversary and the Pride events this weekend. When she had to punch back in, I wandered over to the optical department to select some new specs. Picked out a new "all the time" pair with Transitions lenses and 2 pairs of shades for driving. (Transitions don't darken into sunglasses when you are in a car because they are not in direct sunlight.) Tamara approved of both of my frame choices, but she didn't like that she couldn't see my brown eyes through the shades. LOL

Oh yeah, have I mentioned that the wifey has become a pickle FIEND of late? I mean serious pickle fiend--and NO, she is not pregnant! Here's a pic of my pickle crazy wifey. . .


When I stopped by school to pick up some GLAD supplies ordered from Office Depot, Tamara texted me asking if it was true that Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson had both died today. I told her yes on FF and that I would check on MJ. Hard to believe he is dead--but so many things about him were hard to comprehend, why should his death be any different, I guess. I've had mixed feelings about him for a while--such a talented artist, such a tormented soul, such a strange being, such creepy relationships with young boys, such an unbelievable transition from talented black teen to something hard to describe . In recent years, I'd decided that I sadly could not be a fan of his any longer due to his twistedness (even if it did stem from mental illness or his life experiences), but I can't deny the huge role he played in the music world. His music, his dancing, and his ability to innovate will long outlast his legacy of strangeness likely.

Of course, his death dominated the news channels as I hung out with a few fab friends at Me-n-Ed's. Hearing so many of his songs reminded me of how much I enjoyed his music and admired his talent. My very conservative parents had just broken down and installed cable (so my mom could watch the Weather Channel) when I discovered MTV; the video on at the time? Thriller! I couldn't wait for my parents to leave the house so I could turn the channel to watch some evil music videos. (Back in the day when homes only had 1 tv!) It's surreal to see an icon pass; flawed as he was, Michael Jackson was truly an iconic figure of our day.

The wifey and I talked about him when she got home from the salon with her new twisties; she was in love with Michael as a lil girl growing up in the 80's--she was so jealous of Brooke Shields--his posters graced the walls of the bedroom she shared with her older sister, Nicole. I really wish I'd had the chance to know Nicole; she passed away suddenly on her 18th bday leaving a devastated 10 yr old sis behind. I know she would've loved to talk to Nicole today. . .

Here she is sporting her cute new twisties:) I love her way too much!

1 comment: